Welcome to WSO2 Application Server (WSO2 AppServer)
| [Documentation Home] | [Release Note]
WSO2 AppServer is an enterprise-ready application server based on the WSO2 Carbon
platform. Being the successor of the WSO2 Web Services Application Server (WSAS),
WSO2 Application Server (AS) supports web application deployment and management
in addition to its web services management capabilities. Coupled with WSO2 Carbon
features, users now have the capability to manage their applications that range
from Web Services to web applications in a unified manner within the AppServer
management console itself.
Based on the concept of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), the Web services
specifications support secure, reliable and transactional integration based
on the concept of loose coupling, which is inherently scalable. Many vendors
have "bolted on" support for Web services and XML to their existing proprietary
product solutions. WSO2 has created a new platform that cuts out unnecessary
layers, supporting the full WS-* stack in a simple, clean, lightweight model,
making it easier to develop, deploy and run applications.
When it comes to supporting web applications, WSO2 AppServer internally utilizing
Apache Tomcat and capable of hosting any kind of web application which is deployable
on Tomcat. In addition to that, these web applications can inherit features like
Authentication/Authorization, User management etc. from the WSO2 Carbon platform.
WSO2 AppServer comes with full support for XML, SOAP, WSDL, and supports reliable,
secure communications. WSO2 AppServer makes it simple and effective
to create, consume and manage Web services.
- SOAP 1.1/1.2
- WSDL 1.1
- WSDL 2.0
- JAX-WS 2.2
- MTOM, XOP & SOAP with Attachments
WSO2 AppServer brings together a number of open source projects into a single,
seamless, easy-to-use offering. Instead of having to download the different
parts of the Apache Web services stack separately and assemble them together,
we have done that for you and offer you a single integrated package with lot
of additional features which are inherited from the WSO2 Carbon platform.
Open Source Components of WSO2 AppServer
- Apache Axis2 (SOAP)
- Apache Axiom (High performance XML Object Model)
- Apache Rampart/Apache WSS4J (WS-Security, WS-SecureConversation)
- Apache Rahas (WS-Trust)
- Apache Sandesha2 (WS-ReliableMessaging)
- WS-Addressing implementation in Axis2
- Apache Neethi (WS-Policy)
- WS-SecurityPolicy implementation in Axis2
- Apache XML Schema
- Embedded Apache Tomcat
- Apache Tribes (Group Communications Framework)
WSO2 AppServer can be used in a number of different scenarios:
- Exposing existing or new business applications as Web services.
- Building reliable messaging links within or across enterprises.
- Hosting applications as WebApps
- Integrating with .NET, J2EE, CICS, SAP and other platforms.
WSO2 AppServer is a fully open source product. WSO2 contributes to the Apache
Software Foundation's Web services project through a combination of leading
open source components. Together with our own integration code, WSO2 offers
production quality open source software. All our integration code including
the unified management console is available under the Apache
Software License version 2.0.
New Features In This Release
- Inbuilt Data Services support
- Server Roles Management feature
- Deployment Synchronizer for easy Cluster configuration
- Improved JAX-WS Support
- Improved SOAP Tracer
- Improvements in Service listing page
- Two lists for Services and Service Groups
- Security Indicators within service list
- Improved Samples and documentation
- Improved Class loading for Web apps and Web Services
- Embedded Tomcat 7.0.14 support
- Servlet API 3.0 support
The complete list of features is available in the
WSO2 Application Server Documentation
See the full list of documents
with instructions on installation, administration, sample guides and how
to use the tools packaged with WSO2 AppServer.
Your feedback on WSO2 AppServer is most appreciated. Please send them to our
user mailing lists: